100 Acre Personality Quiz

11 September 2006

The Greatest Show EVER!


Many of you may not know this but I am lover of Broadway Musicals... oh yes. I am a sucker for showtunes and dance numbers... they just take you to another place in time. My favorite musical however has no glitsy dance numbers and to be honest - it isn't even a "feel good" kind of show. I always cry through most of the second act!

The greatest show to ever hit the stage, at least in my opinion, is Les Miserables. I know that many people claim to love this show and oh how wonderful Cameron Mackintosh is - a genius if you will. While I agree with these statements, I am not a bandwagon type of person.

Michael Ball has been the most phenomenal Marius to ever wear a fluffy tie and morning jacket. He has such an innocence that is so hard to discribe. Not only can the man sing like an angel but he can captivate you with a single note.

Colm Wilkinson IS Jean Val Jean. I don't care what others think about this Irish born thespian - though he is acclaimed. He has played many different roles, including The Phantom... should you not know of whom I speak then all I can do is lay pity on you for it is another great gem.

Philip Quast was the strongest Inspector Javert I have seen to date. He has the ability to be rigid, as his role calls, but you can see the gentle child beneath who struggles with "gray" areas of life.. and his "Stars" performace will leave your mouth wide open and your heart aching.

Lea Solange has the most beautiful voice and totally transforms herself into Eponine - my favorite character and one I related to for many years. God bless Eponine is all I can say without getting emotional.

With that being said - I strongly suggest that you run out to your local video place and get a copy of the Les Miserables concert at Royal Albert Hall. Here you will see all of the giants together on one stage and if you aren't moved... well, then you aren't human!

Can you hear the people sing, singing the song of angry men....

8 comments:

Betty McArthur said...

I have not seen this one... yet! However, I did see The Phantom of the Opera, in New Orleans and CATS in Mobile... does that count?

Peppermint Mocha Mama said...

That counts a lot.. although having seen CATS, I think points should be deducted... LOL

Betty McArthur said...

CATS isn't for everyone... I guess you have to be a "cat person," to really enjoy the whole thing. It's just amazing how they (all of them) had the mannerisms of a cat, down to the letter. I got more wrapped up in watching them, and not actually paying attention to the story line! You should have seen the kids in the audience... they were mesmerized.

Peppermint Mocha Mama said...

I know, it's like La Nouba - not everyone gets the beauty in the artistry... unfortunately for CATS, I was one of those people. I was wrapped up in the story and honestly fell asleep with my eyes open.

Betty McArthur said...

Next time, just watch them (the cats) and loose yourself. However, you have to admit, that "Memories" is a fabulous song.

Peppermint Mocha Mama said...

The soundtrack and score are both wonderful. I would always loose myself in the music and run a scenes in my mind's eye. Then one day my mother thought it would sweet to let me see the show - completely ruined it for me.

It's like "Wicked - The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West". I loved the soundtrack, which I bought after seeing spots on the Tony Awards show and Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I still want to see "Wicked" the Broadway show (even though Idina Menzel is no longer playing Elphaba) but I read the book so I am a bit concerned that they won't follow the same story pattern or lines. I must admit though, the soundtrack follows the book fairly well - better than most.

Betty McArthur said...

It's kind of like "The English Patient," well, not exactly like it, but I know what you mean... I read the book, and then years later it came out on film and I was totally upset. Didn't really follow the book, some characters were missing and even a number of characters where turned into one, for the movie.

Peppermint Mocha Mama said...

Exactly! The books are always better and I try not to watch the movies if I have read the books - especially if I really really loved the book. I just know I will be disappointed in the movie and then be upset because I wasted good money that I could have used to get a Mocha!!