100 Acre Personality Quiz

12 September 2006

71 Days and Counting!

Everyone always says "Let's save the best for last"... why! This is my favorite (okay, I will say that a lot because I have a ton when it comes to these four hours of my life once a year) part of the entire parade. My family has learned through my 33 years of existance that I can not leave the parade until Santa comes. I get all excited and giddy... SANTA!!
This is the logo for this year because my beloved parade is turning 80!! Can you believe that this wonderful masterpiece.. this icon of Americana... the tradition of the most high is going to be 80 years old. That means that my great aunt, my father, myself AND my children have never known life without Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade... and thank the heavens for that!!
This is Tom the Turkey. He has been around for the entire 80 years of the Parade. There was talk of making him retire but no one would listen. What would the Parade be without the Grand Marshall of Ceremonies saying "Let's have a parade!" - nothing! Or no Broadway musical numbers held in front of the Macy's doors before the parade makes it way down the street - nothing! If these (for example purposes only I use this phrase) minut details can not be left do you think they could retire the icon of Tom the Turkey? I think not!!
Yes, even Mickey shows up - it isn't a parade (at least in my pixie heart) if Mickey isn't there. We even have a beautiful float with all our characters... it looks like our General Jackson steamboat. Last year, if memory serves me correctly, we had Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald, Pluto, Chip & Dale, Cinderella, Aurora, Belle and perhaps Prince Charming, Prince Philip and the Beast.

Oh I can not wait another 71 days!!!! Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Betty McArthur said...

You're my kind of gal, AmyLou... I picked something up for you today. Will post it today, via snail mail... it's not much, but it made me think of you.

I love a parade too ;o)

Peppermint Mocha Mama said...

You are too sweet. I'll keep an eye out.

Betty McArthur said...

Missed the postman by seconds yesterday, so it's being posted today... shouldn't take longer than two or three days to get to you.

Peppermint Mocha Mama said...

What did you do little Mrs. Betty?

Betty McArthur said...

What did I do? I don't know???

Peppermint Mocha Mama said...

Yeah, I hear ya...